Data Security Preparedness Levels and Online Banking Services: A Case Study of Information Technology Department of Access Bank, Kigali, Rwanda
ONGUS, Prof. Raymond Wafula
MetadataShow full item record
Data security has been the main approach to deal with loss of data. The motivation of this study was inspired by the continuing concern of ineffective data/information security in companies leading to considerable monetary losses. The aim of this study was to examine the main causes of data insecurity and to establish how data security preparedness levels at Access Bank, Kigali, Rwanda affect online banking services. This study used questionnaires and interviews for data collection. All fifty nine IT employees and their managers at Access Bank represented the total number of population. Therefore the total population of fifty nine (59) was the sample size. As this was a small population size, a purposive sampling technique was used as a sampling method. After collecting data, the interpretation and the summary of quantitative data was done using statistics such as graphs, frequency tables, weighted means, standard deviations, and percentages to enable describe the relationships established. This was achieved by the use of Statistical Package for the Social Sciences Version 17.0 (SPSS V.17.0) software as the tool of analysis. Findings revealed that internal based attacks are the first major cause of data insecurity in the company as indicated by 50.90% of respondents. The multiple regression found that r the coefficient of correlation was 0.793. This meant that there was strong positive multiple correlation between data security preparedness levels and online banking services at Access Bank, Kigali Rwanda. Moreover the coefficient of determination r2 =0.628 indicated that 62.8% of the total variation in online banking services depended on stochastic model developed whereas the remaining 37.2% was attributed to factors beyond the control of the study. Since the correlation was strong, this relationship was found to be significant. Recommendations were to give regular assistance to customers to avoid identity theft, to provide training to every employee of the Bank and to introduce additional security measures stated in this study to deal with internal incidents.
- Full paper